Quest : Metal-ion : Ideas : Building your own batteries with household items
I built a battery with things I had lying around at home
(for images see my Reddit post here)
You can built your own battery at home pretty easily with which you can then perform some experiments.
-a pair of scissors,
-a couple of pennies,
-vinegar and/or salt & water (or some other kind of electrolyte)
and then to test the battery you need some kind of wires and a LED or something similar
- Fold the aluminum foil over a couple of times until it's just small enough to fit a penny on it, then cut out a circle the size of a penny, so that you have multiple aluminum foil circles.
- Do the same with the paper/cartboard! So, fold multiple times, then cut out a penny-sized circle. You should now have multiple paper cutouts.
- Fill a small bowl with vinegar and clean the pennies in it.
- Dip the paper in either the vinegar or heavily salted water.
- Now we're ready to assemble! Stack the items on top of each other in the following order: Penny - Paper - Aluminum Foil - Penny - Paper - Aluminum Foil...
- Now attach your cables with sellotape to the top and bottom of your battery. The LED should light up!
You are now ready to experiment with it: Try different temperatures, materials, more or less layers, ...
Let me know if you tried building one yourself and how it went!
Edited: 07 July 2020 04:10